Labels

Thursday, September 09, 2004

I'm Proud of My Mummy

Last night my Dad said "free food" so I jumped. I knew I was attending FW Rotary as a guest on the occasion of his and my mother's receiving some extra pins for donations to the Rotary Foundation.

But I didn't realize that my Mum was also being awarded the FW Rotary Club's highest honour: The Gordon and Vance Judge Award.

This was exceptional as my mother is not actually a Rotarian herself.

(Yes, women have been Rotarians for years!)

The award was particularly in recognition of the loyalty, perseverance and determination she showed in supporting my father through his year as District Governor, despite the recent amputation of his leg.

My father, of course, showed a lot of grit during that year as well, but I know he would say he could not have done it without my mother, who, in addition to many other tasks, did all of the driving around the district. In all our family trips my mother's preference was that my Dad be the long-distance driver.

So congratulations, Mum. I'm proud of you. I wish I could have hugged you longer, but it really did hurt my bruised ribs.

That I'll explain at some other time.

No comments: