Labels

Monday, February 12, 2007

A Sort of Homecoming (Sort of)


This past weekend I attended the Anglican Cursillo Weekend for Men. The nature of the weekend is such that I'm not really allowed to tell you much about it; what with its sick, twisted rituals, secret handshakes and oh the blood!!

I've said too much already.

Actually, the only torture that goes on during the weekend has to do with a certain song. (I just throw that in for any Cursillistas who might have surfed in.)

It was held at ... Eagles Nest ... at Dorion Bible [Camp and ]Conference Centre. Ta da!

This was my first time back since being let go from Dorion Bible Camp and CSSM Ministries April 19, 2004, not quite at the end of my Health Leave and so I had conflicting emotions about it.

I expected to feel very strange driving down that road and walking around the site (once we had free time), but instead -- sorry, folks -- it felt very natural,like home. It felt like it was my home, but that changes had been made to it while I slept, by other people.

But the changes ranged (in my mind) from neutral to good. I suppose some were puzzling to me, but I lack enough info to judge. I'm talking about physical changes and therefore can only guess at what philosophical changes they may or may not represent.

In my view, some significant philosophical changes needed to be tried to reverse the precipitous slide in numbers we were experiencing since 2000, and I don't have enough of an inside view to assess whether they've been made. (FWIW I gather that the numbers plateaued the last two summers at c. 370 and could be poised to rise once more.)

Kelly wanted to make it clear to me that the damage to Lamont had been accidental (a falling tree this past summer I think). It appears now to be a doorless warm-up shack for the Adams Family rink.

I had intended not to visit the camp side until the day I know they are truly happy to have me, but, when I heard this, I wanted to see Lamont up close, fearing it will be torn down in the Spring. I didn't think it would be right to remove a tile or something for a souvenir, since it's not my property (and never was), but I was tempted.

I didn't even go over to the Dining Hall or Chapel or past the inner gates down to Lookout Lodge or the spot where Old Parkdale Place stood which is where I put my faith in Jesus. Again I'll leave that for the later day, but I'm not ready to see my absent desk (moved, I'm told, the summer I was put on Leave). Plus, even if those bldgs were unlocked, it would have been intrusive for me to go inside.

The food for the weekend was good, of course. It was nice to chat with Inez and show her the 2000 Blooper book in which she has a page. (I had all the Books with me, but didn't want to push it.)

The Kitchen Staff were friendly with me. Kelly has been decent and human all along, showing empathy without ever giving a hint of insubordination to her family or employer. Keith was helping in the kitchen only at the beginning and end of the weekend, because (said Kelly) he was feeling sick (and so were the boys) and so our exchange was brief, but cordial.

Being there was made easier by the fact that the one who persuaded the Board to reverse their decision to reintegrate me back to work in a Reconciliation process has since moved on. Those who remain, especially the volunteers or new staff, I regard as people who were given little or inaccurate information and yet I can understand that they are not particularly interested in having me clear it up for them. So our conversations didn't go in that direction.

I have some more pix that represent changes there that I may post later.

No comments: