Labels

Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Camp G. Junior Week

The first week of Camp Gitchigomee (Junior: 7-9 year olds) I was the counsellor (I prefer "cabin leader", but that's a long discussion) in the boys cabin.

Without looking it up, I think it was c. 1987 that I was last "in a cabin" at Dorion Bible Camp. Summer 2004 I was in Cabin 14 (Intermediate age) at Manitoba Pioneer Camp, but I was actually a third staff member on special assignment.

So, this was a good reminder for me of camp life on the frontline and how hard it is --(I'll be the first to admit that Junior is not my best age for that role.)-- even the personal stress one can feel about cabin clean-up, fearing that it will be my bed declared sandy, because I was busy getting the campers to do their own.

So (again) I apologize to cabin staff over the years to whom I may have seemed (or indeed been) unappreciative of your volunteer time.

No comments: