Labels

Saturday, July 16, 2011

Dorion Bible Camp: July 15/11

This was basically my first time back to Dorion Bible Camp since 2004. Since then my path has crossed a few times with those of my former co-workers and the current staff, and so it's not quite as awkward as it would have been earlier.

So, I decided to accompany a friend as she went out Friday evening (the weeks have been shortened in recent years) to get her daughter. I took the opportunity to look around. Kaeleigh Maggrah had just finished serving with us at Camp Gitchigomee and so she had apprised me of some of the program changes (including the introduction this summer of camp names for the staff, as at Manitoba Pioneer Camp where I am "Peps").

I was quite impressed with the physical appearance of the camp. The buildings and grounds looked very well cared for. The staff greeting the parents and giving directions, while others cleaned the dining hall etc., seemed well-organized. As I wandered around taking pictures, one of them asked if was looking for someone. I told him that I'd worked there for 25 summers. "Cool!", he said.

There are a few pictures of me still up (though not in the fulltime staff display by the fireplace) -- but even if he had looked at it, I suppose I have changed a bit in appearance since then!!

Inside Lookout Lodge, which was my summer home for something like 7 summers. As camper numbers have dropped in the last decade, I am told that they tend to use only 1 or 2 of the 5 boys cabins now, and so at this point it was housing young male maintenance staff.

The Boys' Washroom

The campfire pit

The crafts cabin.

I didn't actually ring it.

But I have done so many, many times before!



The weeds have really grown up in the swimming area. It appears that the campers have to go hiking before they can go swimming.

I will just say this and you can consider implications (if any). Back when I was there, people would tell the story of the purchasing of the land and how they thanked God that all along that stretch of beach there were weeds, except where the land for the Bible camp was. It may be one of those things I've seen over and over in Evangelical Christianity (of which I AM a member) in which we say, "See how well things are going. God is blessing us for doing His will." or at other times "Things are challenging, because Satan is attacking us for doing God's will."

Perhaps faith really does interpret things and bring into existence things which are not. I remember the eagle flying over the lake when we were naming Eagles Nest. I was there. It flew over the lake, and that was not a terribly rare event in those days. But somehow in retelling it became a rare sighting of an eagle right overhead just as we were naming Eagles Nest, as some sort of sign. No one was particularly concerned that Hitler had also chosen that name for his mountain retreat.

I think God is *always* for us; and Satan always works for our harm. As for the plans we make, our carrying them out etc., I expect God never endorses them in their entirety, but has thoughts about every action, every thought, and it's a step by step process.

But I digress....




This is where Lamont used to stand. After I no longed served as a cabin leader, this became my summer home for I would guess ten or more years. Its use for staff was discontinued, and it was turned into a skate-changing shack for the Adams Family rink in the winter. Then I hear a tree fell on it and it was taken down.


This used to be just outside the office door of the old dining hall. This is where Andy James often led Sat. staff mtgs.


The wording of the Welcome sign was Andy's. I drew the pictures and I think Monty or the ARC people executed the work. The two boys running are supposed to be David & Jon James. Andy is in the rocking chair. Joe Gandier is one of the sleeping young men.


Things have been rearranged somewhat, but the far chair is approx. where I used to sit as Program Director.


Thusly!

Note that the filing cabinets are unlocked (but I did NOT look in them)! And the rifle is not mine!!


The view from where I used to sit.



This display by the fireplace is of long-term &/or CSSM staff at DBC. The bottom right photo appears to be a joke. A tad disrespecful in my opinion.


The Camp Song (red) and "I Will Put My Faith in You" written by yours truly specifically for camp. It's gratifying that it appears that these songs still get some use.


Various camp trophies including the Wilson Cup. The plaques are for the Eagle Campers, although this award system has now been discontinued.


Each collage of pictures represents a decade of DBC history.


I like the look of the coffee area at the far end. The floor was wet or I'd've had a closer look.


Ah, the good ol' fireplace, site of many prayer mtgs and also just hanging out times!


I don't know whose desks these are.


The Director's semi-private office (beyond the door).




I was VERY pleased to see that the Drama Shed was very neat, and the posters of past skits were left up.


The "parchment" posters are from the skit: "Dorion Bible Camp in the First Century".


Each of these magazine pictures referred to a member of Lookout Lodge at HiTeens 1979!




Paul Jansen was known for scratching his own back a lot.


This display case has been moved from the dining hall to the chapel entryway.


The Kitchen Cuties


This is Anne Liinamaa (the legs) and me posing in the garbage holes of the old dining hall.


The chapel from the front.


From the back. The stage now extends across the entire front, which is an improvement over the two risers which used to split apart during any skit that became vigorous.


The staff lounge in the basement of the chapel.






This used to be the office (upstairs in the chapel) of the Dorion Bible Fellowship pastor.


Looking down the entryway stairs to the outside. My friend and her kids picked me up here in her van, and we headed out. It had been good to be there. I expect to visit again.
.

No comments: