Labels

Sunday, November 01, 2020

Christian Parodies of G & S TO DO

.

I suppose I wrote these sometime in late highschool. I found them recently while tidying during the Pandemic, but I have no recollection of ever writing them:

To the tune of " " (H.M.S. Pinafore)

When stormy waters rock your boat,
And it’s getting rather hard to stay afloat,
If you’ll just let Jesus take the wheel,
His everlasting compass will steady your keel.
(His everlasting compass will steady your keel.)
He helps you sail life’s stormy sea,
When you are a member of the King’s Navee.
(He helps you sail life’s stormy sea,
When you are a member of the King’s Navee.)

The wind is fast, and you’re sailing high,
But doldrums hit and you don’t know why.
The sea is still and your sails fold.
You’ve gone and locked the Captain in the cargo hold.
(You’ve gone and locked the Captain in the cargo hold.)
That’s not the way it ought to be,
When you are a member of the King’s Navee.
(That’s not the way it ought to be,
When you are a member of the King’s Navee.)

Now Christians all, wherever you may be,
You know our Captain died on Calv’ry’s tree,
But He rose again, and He’s no fool.
There’s more to navigation than the Golden Rule.
(There’s more to navigation than the Golden Rule.)
Stick close to His side, follow prayerfully,
Because you are a member of the King’s Navee.
(Stick close to His side, follow prayerfully,
Because you are a member of the King’s Navee.)

To the tune of "When first my old, old love I knew...." (Trial By Jury)

When first my old, old life I knew, my bosom welled with hate.
My riches filled my selfish [mind] and I thought I was really great.
No term seemed too extravagant upon me to employ.
I used to brag and rave and rant; I was a mixed up boy.

Tink a tank etc.

But joy for me I could not sense, and love was [tot’lly] unknown.
My loneliness grew more intense, when I saw [the] seeds I’d sown.
With tearful eyes I saw my shame, and longed to know His joy.
At last one morning I became my Saviour’s brand new boy.

Tink a tank etc.

.

No comments: