Labels

Thursday, January 01, 1970

Childhood in England

.

July 12/1959 @ the Grosvenor Road Methodist Church, Aldershot. My mother & brother wore the gown before me.


See also my post Doreen Hart.

My Dad on his motorcycle. I think this was taken before I was born.

In late 2013 my Mum found this picture!!


Adrian

At some point in my first year of life

Oct. 1959, York Cr.

Nov. '59, York Cr.

Nov. '59, York Cr.

Nov. 1959, York Cr.

My first car

My second birthday

I have a vague memory that this was at my grandparents' in Northampton.

1961

June 1961? Fernlea Road
(my Dad's parents' place)

Yes, I'm wearing reins.
On the back: "York Cr. 1961"



Note Bambi on the front.

I think this is my sister, Geri.
So this would be the early sixties.
I'm not sure: I don't remember the sixties.

April 23, 1962: The site of our new house on Beaufort Rd., Crookham (Aldershot).

April 23, 1962

May, June 1962: York Cr.

Sept. 62, York Cr.
I like the entertainment unit behind us.

Dec. 1962


I remember my friends in Canada making fun of me because I'd told them
my Dad used to ride a scooter back in England.
Why did I tell them this?!



"Beaufort" [Road] I'm guessing 1963.
What are those things?!
Note the paper airplanes, made by my Dad or brother, I'd guess.

"Fleet near Beaufort 1963"
The woman is my godmother Doreen McDermott's mother.
Geri inherited the reins.

Summer 1963
Child labour!
Did I know by then that we were moving to Canada?

Leonard and Annie Griffiths, with my Auntie Rosemary and one of my cousins.
On the back: "Aylesbury 1964"

My Uncle Austin takes his father's place in the picture. "Aylesbury 1964"

My Uncle Austin, Auntie Rosemary,
Simon, Sarah and Katie
Probably 1970
(So after we had moved to Canada)


My passport photo at age 4.
I was not happy about moving to Canada.
I'd heard it was just a bunch of trees.

"I don't want to move to Canada!!"

"Helter Skelter!!"
Developed June 1964. On the back "Chessington Zoo".
Note the grumpy carny.


---------------------

Summer 1968: visiting my Dad's parents on the beach at Bournemouth.

My Auntie Margaret, Granddad and Nan

Summer 1968: Approaching Fort William, Scotland!!

Fort William, Scotland.

The Natural History Museum in London. 1968 or 69

Here is my entire record of our trip to England in the summer of '69 (when I was ten*) taken verbatim from my diary:

Tue. July 29 - Today we got to Kendall. I bought a Dodge Crane truck - Matchbox.
Wed. July 30 - Today we visited the Lake District. I got Wagon Train.
Thu. July 31 - Today we are staying in Edwinstow Nottigahamshire we saw the Major Oak.
Fri. Aug. 1 - We went to Nottingham Castle today.
Sat. Aug. 2 - Today Simon Bulp[?] and the rest came.
Sun. Aug. 3 - Today we went to Uncle Austin's We waded in the pools we went to last year
Tue. Aug. 5 - We left Northhamton for Mitcham in the Morn and arrived in the afternoon.
Sat. Aug. 9 - Today we arrived in Bourmouth. We got soaked in the rain
Sun. Aug. 10 - Today we went to the beach I bought a spade
Tue. Aug. 12 - Today Geraldine and I found a broken window in the playhouse

.

No comments: