Labels

Friday, February 25, 2005

100 Years of Rotary

The following are people who attended the Centennial of Rotary International Dinner I attended with my parents on last Wednesday evening. I am fascinated by connections that I have with people and they with each other. So here's a brief blurb on each.

Dr. Lois Wilson -- Guest speaker -- Her husband was our minister in the early sixties when we used to go to First Church United. I think she was co-minister for the 2nd half of the sixties.

Katie Ischkin -- President of Rotaract (youth branch of Rotary) -- I believe she was a camper at Dorion Bible Camp.

Len and Marg Landy -- All three of their daughters Katrina, Karol and Kyla went to Dorion Bible Camp. Kyla is married to Michael Gilmour and he was (an excellent) acting Assistant Director during Andy's last summer, with a view to becoming Camp Director with Elaine Kalnbach as Executive Director. The board chose not to go this route, although I was not privy to their reasoning. Len and Marg go to St. Thomas' Anglican and I sat with them there at a dinner this past Saturday. Karol was co-director of Senior week at Camp Gitchigomee when I was there last summer.

Rev. Paul Carr is the retired rector of St. Paul's A and our paths have been crossing regularly recently.

Rev. Dave Silliman -- His daughter Amy helps lead The Edge worship service at which I played on Valentine's Day.

Karl & Marianne Wahl -- Good friends of my parents -- It was they who invited my sister and me to attend Dorion Bible Camp with their daughters (and so it was nice that they also attended my 30+1 Years Party at Camp Dorion Party in 02 (my last summer there). They are also associated with Cambrian Players.

Barb Philp -- Wife of a Rotarian -- She (as a Morrison) and I were in ISCF together at Churchill. Their son came at least once to Dorion Bible Camp. I see her from time to time at Waverly Library where she works.

Jim. Mucklow(?)-- Rotarian -- attends men's breakfast I go to on Friday mornings.

Dr. Harold Cumming -- Husband of Rotarian -- He was a staff advisor at times for LUCF and used to host our Christmas parties year after year. He also ran a Sunday afternoon study at his home which I attended. For a while he was a member of writers group, Inkwell. His daughter Christine Regehr directs Girls Camp at Manitoba Pioneer (which is where I last saw Harold when they were visiting).

Kendall House -- Director of FW Male Choir -- Was principal of one of the schools at which I taught Religious Education for 2 years when I first joined CSSM Canadian Sunday School Mission.

Henry Konrad -- member of FWMC -- Taught me English at Churchill and sponsored the ISCF club there. His son Richard and I did a project together on the history of Classical Music. Richard recently emailed me out of the blue. I see Henry's daugher Marina from time to time in theatre contexts or at Redwood church.

(Jerry Williams -- a Rotarian but was absent that evening -- Jerry is the Chair of the Inter Varsity Area Committee on which I serve. He was also a member of the Dorion Bible Camp board for a while. I suppose his daugher Laurie and I attended Churchill at the same time and his daughter Debbie was on staff at Dorion Bible Camp for one summer. I could look up all these dates btw, but I'm just not bothering to.)

This is not to mention numerous other Rotarians there who are friends with my parents and, I realized after the dinner, who, in several cases, have been in my house when it used to belong to my parents.

5 comments:

Paula T said...

I know Katie Iskin!!! She was one of my brownies, then my girl guide, then my Dorion Camper! She still remembers me....say hi for me!!!!

Paula T said...

That "Dr." Lois Wilson isn't Lois wilson who married Tim Wilson is it??

Peter said...

I spent over a week writing up stuff for the PA Rotary for the Cj's supplement, so I got to know that very well. Many of the names you've dropped cropped up during that process.

I admire the spirit of charitable work they do worldwide. I am also struggling with the appearance of Generalissimo Augusto Pinochet of Santiago, Chile, on the main Rotary web site as a "famous Rotarian".

reppepper said...

I believe that Lois Wilson nee Turgeon was not alive in the sixties. But if she doesn't remember, then I guess she was.

As well, I can't imagine her family being very happy if became a United Church minister (or even went to the United Church!!)

reppepper said...

And, Poor Mad Peter, that's their view (I imagine) not mine!