Labels

Thursday, October 27, 2005

Flying Dream

Frequently I dream that I can fly.
My flying is more like treading water in the air.
It's not effortless, but
When I'm doing it, it makes perfect sense, even though I realize that
Apparently most (all?) other people can't do the same.

But last night there was a new element:
Almost everyone else was trying to make me stop
And were accusing me of
Heresy or blasphemy or pride or something.
One of my first flights was taken right at the front of a worship service
And I guess I was showing off a bit,
But mainly I wanted to let people know
"Um, I can fly."
(It seemed important at the time, but)

They kept trying to make me stop and
I kept flying whenever I had a chance, not so much to be rebellious
But because I *wanted* to fly.
(And I wasn't very good and needed practice.)

No one seemed particularly interested in understanding
How I was able to fly or
Whether they could if they tried.
They just wanted me to stop and to lock me up.
And I just kept saying,
"Um, I can fly."

A conversation I heard last night at Youth Synod reunion dinner
about some 3rd person unknown to me:
One person: "Him? He's always mad."
Other person: "No, he's not he's always smiling."

5 comments:

Eric said...

Was that at coc or ang worship time?

I love doing dream analysis. I used to do it all the time at unversity for friends or family who would tell me their dreams. It seemed to impress people at the time.

Keep your eyes open for that smiling angry guy, people who smile when they are angry seem scary.

Peter said...

Any you said you haven't written anything in a long time! {mishcievous grin}

Erica said...

I dream I can breathe underwater... But I breathe really shallowly, like I'm not really sure I can breathe underwater.

I also dream I can walk on air.

I also dream that I am in a big convenience store. Everyone has left and I have total and complete access to the chocolate bar isle. I eat everything...

Analyze that!

I see you also have a quiz on your site - but I already took it at "Je Suis!" and decided I didn't like it!

Eric said...

Erica your dreams sound like the kind that Freud would like to address, so I won't on this blog.

Richard, are you feeling repressed and afraid that when you do use your talents that you are just showing off? I am not saying that you are showing off or that I feel like you are, That is what the dream sounds like it is saying you are afraid of doing.

If you don't like that interpretation, stick another quarter in the machine and I will spit out a different fortune.

shroomAzoom said...

I dream I can fly from time to time as well. It's not a recurring dream, just a feature in some of my dreams. It always works the same way. I can "swim" in the air. I eventually "sink" back down to the ground, if I do nothing, or I can "swim" back down. It's great, I usually fly up as high as I can, over the trees and buildings. Sometimes I'm inside when I'm flying--if I'm in a big room like a gym, I can kick/jump off the walls to get myself higher too. Lot's of fun.