Labels

Monday, July 12, 2004

Blues Fest

Not a lot to report on the Blues Festival, but Robin had a free ticket from tbaytel and so we split the cost of mine (plus he bought me snacks. Thank you.)

We caught the end of one act which I forget, followed by Canned Heat (two lead guitarists, so that was cool), Big Walter Smith and finally Edgar Winter. (I thought he and Johnny got shot by Homer in a Hallowe'en episode.)

Robin liked to comment as each song started up, "I've heard this one before." But Edgar's stuff stretched the boundaries of the 12 bars blues more than did the previous acts. So just what are or is the Blues and does EW as a headliner act demonstrate that maybe Blues fans don't really want to listen to the Blues all night?

But after we'd heard a few EW songs, even though they were more interesting and the musicianship was great, both Robin and I decided we wanted to beat the rush leaving. I told R that I really liked EW's "Frankenstein" instrumental, but what were the chances that of all his (& Johnny's) songs that he would play it? "Play Frankenstein!" I called out jokingly and not loudly. (Plus we were very far from the stage.)

EW then put on his strap-on-keyboard (which he claims to have invented) and launched into introducing...Frankenstein (which I think is his nickname for the keyboard).

My enjoyment of the piece and of previous tunes was diminished somewhat by the blonde lady in white shorts (Fern Favot-like in appearance says R) who liked to stand up in front of me wherever I moved my chair (seriously!). It wasn't that she wanted a better view of the stage -- because she would often be facing *away* from the stage, talking to her friends and (apparently) paying little attention to the music.

Hey, lady! You know who you are!!

No comments: