Labels

Saturday, September 11, 2004

Do You Remember What Day It Is?

Well, likely you do if you have occasion today to say the date out loud since the words "September 11th" or "Nine Eleven" have been seared into our memories, evoking a Pavlovian response of "oooo". (I prefer to say "Eleven of Nine", but maybe that's flippant.)

The story of this year's memorial ceremony was the lead story on CBC news, but it's not as if this year the whole day is being dedicated to broadcasting the reading of the names etc.

I suppose it's part of moving on. Friends and family members will always remember this date, but a time will come when it's a footnote in the news broadcasts or relegated to "This Date in History" features.

And, of course, in other parts of the world other dates have been more significant, which we have already forgotten if we ever knew them. In Southern Russia they have a new date to remember for the rests of their lives. I likely will forget. They likely don't care much about today's date.

I'm blabbing about this in an attempt to break free of my own focus on my own personal set of dates and to connect with tragedies beyond myself.

No comments: