Labels

Friday, September 10, 2004

I've Got a Job

So do you. It's right there in your Bible just before Psalms.

But seriously folks

I was interviewed on Wednesday for the job of part-time (25%)Youth Facilitator for the Anglican Deanery of Thunder Bay and today they phoned and told me that I have been chosen for the job. (The initial contract lasts only until Feb. '05.)

So next week I'll have some mtgs and sign paperwork and so maybe I'll leave it until then to describe my duties.

Yeah, so it had been a long time since I've had a job interview. I had one for my 2 year job at TBay Christian School in 1983. I remember having a little interview at the end of summer '86 when I came on with CSSM (part-time at that point), but I don't recall ever having to anything about an application or references. And I wasn't asked to get a police check until '03 (but I was getting one for ISCF anyway).

(But Elaine through her Camping Association work tended to be up to speed on such issues and so yes during the past several years many of the volunteer staff were referenced and checked for what that's worth.)

One interview question was to give my favourite scripture. I quoted several from Psalms, including 40, due to its connection with ISCF/Frontline (and my listening to U2's version recently). For the NT I gave 1 Tim. 1:7 "Fo-o-o-o-o-o-r, God has not given us a spirit of fear etc. etc." I didnt do the actions.

A tough (but standard) question was what I liked the most and the least about my past job.

Basic answer: the summer and the winter (respectively) because in the former we had focus and teamwork and the volunteer staff. I knew where I stood (or thought I did), but in the latter season I tended to feel left out and unsure of how my contributions were regarded. (I believed in their value, however, if I may say so.)

At one point I was explaining my preference for Hegelian thinking in teamwork (thesis vs. antithesis resulting in synthesis), meaning that in a teamwork setting I wish we *would* sit around the table at regular intervals and hash through the issues, *expecting* and *valuing* a diversity of opinions. I explained that I learned this in my highschool Communist history class.

Then because I was sitting at a little table in front of a row of three interviewers, I added "But I am not now, nor have I ever been a Communist."

But I've got to go have lunch with Tim and Kia and Juliet and do some more prep for my "gig" this afternoon leading games for the Homeschoolers. I'm also doing something similar on Sunday for St. Michael and All the Angels.

I hope that at least most of the angels appreciate it. :)

3 comments:

shroomAzoom said...

Woo Hoo Rich! (or "Woot!" as the young kids say these days.)

reppepper said...

Yes. See my Cutting Edge Praise Song post.

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the job!
-Robin