Labels

Monday, September 27, 2004

Love in "The U.S. of Leland"

Yday Tim and I watched "The United States of Leland". In it a character (a teenager written presumably by an adult) says that "love" (or was it "being *in* love")is thinking about someone constantly, waking up and going to sleep thinking about him/her.

Now I was influenced years ago by M. Scott Peck's Road Less Travelled in which he theorizes that what is being described above is actually more of a necessary temporary obsessive insanity (involving chemical reactions) intended by "Nature" for the continuance of the human race. So I'm going to call that "being in love" rather than "love" as such.

Don't forget that Peck and I did say "necessary".

OTOH I'm just going to lob the idea out there to my millions of readers that my observations thus far lead me to suggest that a better def'n of love itself would have to do with whom you can't help but think about when you are faced with death, even if it's someone you're not obsessing over every minute prior to that.

This hypothesis is fairly difficult to test under experimental conditions.

But anyway, what do you think?

1 comment:

shroomAzoom said...

What about “Absence makes the heart grow fonder?” I've been fond enough of Jenn for the past couple of years to marry her. As a result, we haven't not communicated at least once a day for well over two years (until this past weekend.) In fact, it's been almost two years since we haven't seen each other every day. When she was absent from me this past weekend I don't know that I became “fonder” of her, but I felt (as much as one can judge emotional feelings) a stonger love/longing for her than I have in about two years/ever.