Labels

Tuesday, January 04, 2005

Kuch kuch hota hai

Had an Indian Night last night. Oh, I know the best way to avoid confusion in this context: "An India Night". There you go.

I don't know the name of every food we ate, but it was all good. Funny, though: the "non-bread" sure looked and tasted like bread to me.

Then all of us (Tim, Miriam, Eric, Erica, Travis, Sylvia, Robert, Diana and I) watched the Bollywood film "Kuch Kuch Hota Hai". I believe that the title means "something happens", that is, if you stare meaningfully at each other, sing and dance enough apparently "something" will happen.

I was faintly annoyed: so this guy has a beautiful best friend in college (he just can't tell because she wears overalls and keeps her hair short), but marries his beautiful girlfriend (who dies shortly after bearing their child). Then after that he ends up with his beautiful best friend (after, what was it, 14 chances to catch on that she is beautiful and loves him). Hey, buddy, share the wealth!

BTW my car door is thawed and did not catch on fire.

6 comments:

shroomAzoom said...

Cool! Where'd you get the Indian food? Did someone make it or did you go out to that place out by the Old Fort? I think you confused me more by trying to avoid confusion at the beginning of your post.

shroomAzoom said...

Oooo — sounds good. I'm a little Indian cook myself (to avoid confusion, I like to cook little Indians.) Perhaps I'll swap recipes with her when we move back to TBay.

Peter said...

Good heavens! Miriam cooks Indian food?I just ate lunch and I'm hungry all over again reading your note, Tim!

Hey, Richard, Bollywood is Bollywood, wallah! People stare at each other and break into song for nothing--just like an Elvis PResley movie, come to think of it. A good antidote to that but on the same subject (more or less) is Bend It Like Beckham: much fun, background music only, and, on the extra features, a chance to find out that David Beckham is tone deaf!

reppepper said...

Is "wallah" "voila" (sort of "there you have it" in this context)?

Peter said...

"Wallah" ="fellow", "person", "guy". For example, "box wallah" is someone who lives on the street.

reppepper said...

If I'd caught on to your identity right away, I would have realized that you wouldnt misspell "voila". Thanks for the cultural insight.