Labels

Friday, April 29, 2005

Brief thought for Pattywhacker

Re. Pattywhacker's comment on "Compliant..." post below.

Not a complete response at all: But after pondering things a bit, I would say that I may be confusing things somewhat by imprecise use of various terms such as The Faith, The Gospel, A (Particular) Statement of Faith, The Bible etc. which are not all the same thing. (After analyzing my use of these terms I may provide a glossary, but not today. Gotta get my taxes done.)

Briefly, I think when I talk about considering revising The Gospel I primarily have in mind "The Gospel" meaning formulations of it such as The 4 Spiritual Laws, the Romans Road, ABC etc. (and also less simplistic versions). So, that is whatever some people might mean when they ask, "So did you get a chance to 'share' the Gospel with him?" So this may sound as if it *is* simply revising methodology, but I suppose I am influenced by "The medium is the message."

I think I know who Pattywhacker is and he is no dummy. So this is not intended as anything near a complete response. As well I think he wants me to avoid jumping on a pop-post-modern bandwagon and that is certainly a legitimate concern.

2 comments:

reppepper said...

To complicate matters further: I think of organizations that advertise that every participant there "hears the Gospel". But what if the Gospel-teller speaks the A, B, C facts of "The Gospel" and then proceeds to fondle the [child] hearer's genitals at night? Has that participant "heard" the Gospel or something else? This is not hypothetical. I am not certain of an answer.

reppepper said...

Thanks, Patty. Whew! Over at my Mindsay blog you'd have to type that all out. They don't let you cut and paste.

However, it's worth the read. I'll have to read it again soon when I'm not waiting for Robin to show up to practise music.

Here he is now. Later.