Labels

Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Pix of Dorion Changes

While at the Men's Cursillo weekend at Dorion, I took some pix of
some of the places meaningful to me (not all of them) and also of
some changes of note.

Here are three of the latter.

Actually, the first is NOT a change. As far as I know, the use of *sacramental* wine (i.e. for communion) has never been prohibited at Eagles Nest. We did use non-alcoholic wine for one special meal in accordance with our contract with DBCCC and that's a perfectly reasonable request.

It's been my view for a long time (and some agree with me and some don't),
that, because secular groups wishing to rent the facilities would be perfectly
willing and able to abide by such codes of conduct (though I don't think
the prohibition against social dancing is or was useful), the rental clientele
should be increased beyond "Christian" groups. (Are there even realistically enough of the latter in the area to make the place cost-effective?)

This would not compromise the character of the place as a Christian conference centre, because it would be a place in which Christians extend hospitality to their neighbours and witness to Christ's love by their service. The revenue gained could be poured back into the more word-based evangelism of the summer camp.

The staff should be empowered to make the decisions about non-church groups, according to standing policies. (A friend of mine who phoned told me that it had to be referred to the Board.)


I'm not saying that smoking is good, but previously smokers had to leave the
property (theoretically). Prohibiting smoking inside is pretty standard now and therefore not inhospitable, but the existence of this ashtray now communicates a more hospitable and Christian attitude to our guests who struggle with one of the more "visible" sins (as a friend of mine started putting it years ago).

Theoretically the sins of gossip, power abuse and unforgiveness are prohibited on the property of Christian camps and churches, but provision is made (or exists) for them. The visible sinners shouldn't be in a separate category.


It's good to see that recycling is now practised. While I was there I tried
to get it going, but the fact that there was no local program required me to
take it home in my car. In my role I didn't feel I could impose it on the
maintenance person. That would require an executive decision. I don't know how it came to be, but I gather that such a decision has now been made (at least re. aluminum cans) and that's commendable.

(PS re. poster in the wine bottle pic. Keith handed out this year's display and cards and they are pretty impressive. I found last year's rather dark and cluttered, but still a step in the right direction. This year's are very bright and attractive.)

No comments: