Labels

Monday, January 23, 2006

Sally or Val?

Value Village groups all the hockey (& other sports) sweaters together (except for a few very small ones that are in the children's section).

Sally Ann (or Anne to be more elegant) puts green sports sweaters with the green shirts, red sweaters with the red, etc..

Which of these is a better plan in your opinion? I suppose I'm wondering which you predict would result in better sales (not necessarily of hockey sweaters). I know which I prefer personally, but I'd like to take this info and appeal to their marketing sensibilities --

--assuming this "poll" turns out in my favour. ;)

I did tell Sally once that they should move their display of better movies and books to the place where we see it when entering, rather than when leaving. The lady told me that it had been full that morning and now it was half empty/full. I supposed that according to my plan it might be empty by now, but couldn't prove it.

The next time I was there it had been moved according to my suggestion.

I have made a difference in this world!

5 comments:

Robin said...

If Lego has taught me anything (and it hasn't) it's that it's much more useful to sort by type. A big bin full of a particular colour makes it extremely difficult to find a particular shape. A big bin (assuming each bin is labeled and arranged in some kind of order) full of a particular shape makes it very easy to find that shape *and* the colour you want jumps right out at it you.

I have to side with Val. Sally's doing what kids would do.

ewxbaro!

shroomAzoom said...

I think if I was looking for a used hockey jersey, I'd rather look in a section devoted to hockey jerseys. If I was looking for a sweater, I don't want to be bothered by all those used Leafs jerseys.

So, I agree with Richard and Robin to turf the Leafs jerseys all together. :)

mimlap said...

I will reserve my most choice words for those of you are trashing Leaf jerseys.

I feel that all the Hockey Jerseys should be together in one section. How ever from a Business point of view, if you have to paw through all the blue or white shirts to find the hockey jersey of choice you might find something else you like and end up buying more. hmmm

I usually prefer VV's way of doing things but not in this case.

Tony said...

Most people shop looking for a particular typoe of item (ie. a hockey jersey). Who goes to the store thinking "I need me something green."?

reppepper said...

The possible rationale for the Sally approach mentioned by Mim is the only one that occurred to me as having *any* validity.

However, it hasn't worked on me, but I am only one customer. I have c. 7 jerseys bought from Val and one from Sally -- which was on display in the sports equipment area. Otherwise, I hardly ever bother cruising the shirts trying to find the jerseys among them at Sally, and, even if I did, I doubt I would buy a shirt on impulse.

Besides I believe -- I haven't checked yet -- they put them among the men's shirts only. Such sexism alone ought to be enough to change Mim's mind, I would think. ;)

And, if they did put them in both sections, how would they decide which jersey to put where? "Boston jerseys are manly, but the Ducks are girly -- except the 3rd jersey." Dumb.

hwwah