Labels

Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Defragging my cholesterol level

So, I took Robin's advice and defragged my laptop's HD in safe mode, while I was working in my youthworker office at St. Tom's. Now, I easily could have sat there the whole time and just watched it (but I didn't!), because I find it very pleasing seeing everything being put in a nice, neat, compact order (apparently). I say "apparently" because I don't know how much the graphic actually represents something going on.

And how does it know what to do? I gather that it is not anything at all near AI, but simple a combination of if/then commands. But that raises the question in my mind of whether "real" intelligence might just be the same thing, but on a far more complex scale.

It interests me that defragging seems to take far more time on the first 10% than on the rest of the files. Especially, after 50%, it seemed to really zoom along. I think there could be some life analogies I could draw here, but ...meh.

I stopped by SilverCity to finish my Christmas shopping last night. On the way in I spotted Jen and Jamie Silen and chatted with them a bit. They mentioned to me that they'd heard that the Hullabaloo will be the 29th. Today's email confirms this.

Then I saw Kev K, Dean B, Andrew Bickmore along with Renny Maki inside. Andrew, Renny and I went to Seattle for coffee. I eliminated Tim H's as a possibility, because I didn't think I had enough cash on me. Actually, I was mistaken, but too bad for Timmy's.

Mike "Ledge" Minor was at Seattle with his parents (and some Poniatowskis).

This morning I attended a workshop on reducing Cholesterol (doctor's orders) at the hospital. It was a PP presentation and a video. The presenter gave us a handout with printouts of each slide beforehand, but did a good job making her comments not redundant. Besides she was cute.

She did leave the room for the video and I don't blame her: Mr. Dyed Hair Man standing 3/4 body but full face to the camera with lame almost-puns. We were frequently admonished to be "Heart-Smart Shoppers". It lacked only Troy McLure.

1 comment:

shroomAzoom said...

Two days without a Ricahrd post! What to do, what to do!