Labels

Saturday, December 24, 2005

Scrooge

You see, it's "Sim" not "Sims" and that's not even my favourite version, but somehow I know that. So I figure I can be indignant. (Follow me?)

Anyway, I think my favourite version is Blackadder's Christmas Carol (or "Kweznuz" as Baldrick spells it).

I sat down a couple of weeks ago contemplating watching my usual Christmas movies from my childhood (Charlie Brown, Grinch & Rudolph) and none of them appealed to me. I think the more cynical, edgier(?) humour has taken me over.

So, I did watch Blackadder and enjoyed that (including "Hagrid"'s part). Then I felt I'd give Jim Carrey's Grinch a try. That was enough to make me want to watch Karloff and I did enjoy that after all.

"Freestyle" played the sound track yday on CBC-1. It must have been a remastered version or something, because the songs by the Whos were much easier to understand and therefore appreciate.

So then I felt a twinge of desire to watch Charlie Brown and did so. It was okay, but (realizing that they were ordinary children voicing the characters, sometimes a few words at a time) Lucy's flat rejoicing over money ("nickels, nickels, nickels") and Sally's "All I want is what's coming to me" are now embarrassingly painful to me. (Why should I care?)

I still can't bring myself to watch Rudolph -- partly because the version I bought is missing a couple of scenes,

but mainly because in it Santa is such a jerk!! "You should be ashamed of yourself, Donner" (for siring an usual offspring whose "deformity" is in no way harmful anyway?).

Santa, you are a jerk!

Have a Merry Messy Kweznuz!